SUMMARY OF THE STUDY
The purpose of this study was to evaluate the effectiveness of garlic cloves on reducing blood pressure level among patients with hypertension.
A quasi experimental pretest post-test design was used to conduct this study at PHC Alangium and 50 patients with hypertension were selected through non probability convenience sampling technique. Among 50, 25 patients were assigned to experimental group and 25 were assigned to control group. A structured interview schedule was used to collect general information and Digital blood pressure monitor was used to check the pretest and post test blood pressure level. The patients of experimental group were given 10 gm of garlic cloves once a day for 21 days. Post test for both the group was done on 22th day.
If you need assistance with writing your essay, our professional essay writing service is here to help!
The baseline data was tabulated by formulating frequency table. The blood pressure level was assessed using descriptive statistics. The comparison of pre and post test and the effectiveness of garlic gloves was evaluated by inferential statistics test
Major Findings Of The Study
- Majority of patients in experimental group 9(36%) were 56-60 years and in control group 9(36%) were 51-55 years.
- Majority of patients in experimental group 19(76%) and control group 15(60%) of patients were females.
- Majority of patients in experimental group 17(68%) and control group 11(44%) of patients were formal education.
- Majority of patients in experimental group 24(96%) and control group 21(84%) of patients were Hindu.
- Majority of patients in experimental group 17(68%) and control group 13(52%) of patients were sedentary workers.
- Majority of patients in experimental group 11(44%) and control group 9(36%) of patients were had1-3 years duration of illness.
- Majority of patients in experimental group 14(56%) and control group 15(60%) of patients were had hospitalization.
- Majority of patients in experimental group 22(88%) and control group 19(76%) of patients were had treatment.
- Majority of patients in experimental group 24(96%) and control group 24(96%) of patients were non-vegetarian
- Majority of patients in experimental group 24(96%) and control group 19 (76%) of patients were not doing regular exercise.
- Majority of patients in experimental group 24(96%) and control group 23(92%) of patients practiced recreational activities.
- Majority of patients in experimental group 23(92%) and control group 18(72%) of patients were watching TV.
- Majority of patients in experimental group 16(64%) and control group 13(52%) of patients were had no family history of hypertension.
There was a significant difference found (P<0.05) on blood pressure (systolic and diastolic) between experimental and control group. The mean post test score of systolic blood pressure 131.36(SD±8.76) and diastolic blood pressure 84.12(SD± 5.13) among experimental group, where as in control group it was for systolic blood pressure 151.2(SD± 6.26) and diastolic blood pressure was 94.92(SD± 3.93) at p<0.05 level of significance . Independent’s value for systolic blood pressure 9.492 and diastolic blood pressure 8.530(Table value at p<0.05 level of significance shows that there is a significant difference in blood pressure (systolic and diastolic) among experimental group.
This study was to evaluate the effectiveness of garlic cloves on reducing the blood pressure among patients with hypertension in selected rural area at Alangium. The result showed that the garlic cloves is effective in reducing blood pressure levels among patients with hypertension.
The findings of the study have the following implications in the various areas of nursing service nursing education, nursing administration and nursing research.
- The nurses should develop sensitivity to the effect of garlic cloves in reducing blood pressure level.
- The nurse should understand the importance of garlic cloves as an adjunct to pharmacological therapy in nursing practice.
- The nurse should teach the benefits of garlic cloves in reducing blood pressure level among hypertensive patients.
- The nurse should provide adequate exposure to settings where adjunct treatment is used for management of blood pressure level.
- Nursing staff can take specialized training in adjunct treatment to prevent complications of Hypertension.
- The medical surgical and advanced clinical oriented curriculum imparted to nursing students should emphasize more on garlic cloves on blood pressure.
- The nurse educator should involve the concept of alternative and complementary therapy in nursing profession.
- The nurse educator should provide exposure to alternative and complementary therapy to encourage the students to expand their career in that field.
- The nursing curriculum should emphasize on adjunct therapy along with pharmacological management of diseases.
- The nurse should encourage the students to educate their patients regarding adjunct treatment during their clinical exposure.
- Staff nurse must be encouraged to actively participate in in-service education and workshop regarding the importance of complementary therapy on hypertension.
- The administrator should collaborate with governing bodies in formulating policies to employ qualified nurses in medical units and periodically supervise their application of garlic cloves.
- Nurse administrator should arrange for public awareness programme regarding cost effective means of preventing hypertension
- Administrator should initiate health education in community by utilizing the staff preparing through adequate training and encouragement in adjunct therapy.
- The administrator should organize in-service education programme in adjuvant therapy for the nursing personal
- Nurse should organize formal training programme in alternative system of medicine.
- Administrator should appoint separate complementary therapist to guide the nursing personnel regarding adjuvant therapy
- The researcher should encourage for further research on use of garlic cloves on blood pressure
- Researcher should concentrate on non-pharmacologic interventions to reduce the blood pressure level
- Disseminate the findings through conferences seminar and publications in professional, national and international journals
- More researches can be done to establish effectiveness of garlic cloves throughout the world.
- As per the study a nursing care guide can be developed for future references.
- Similar studies can be done with the large group
- Similar study can be done with the hyperlipidemia patient
- Comparative study can be done on the effectiveness of garlic and hypertensive patients without taking anti-hypertensive agents.
- Comparative studies can be done with pharmacological and non pharmacological management of hypertension
This chapter dealt with summary, conclusion, implications for nursing practice and recommendation.